from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- , (archaic) shortening of amn’t, from am not
- , (archaic) respelling of aren’t, from are not, in some non-rhotic dialects
- , (archaic) variant of isn’t, from is not
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A contraction for are and am not; also used for is not; -- now usually written ain't.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A colloquial contraction of are n't, are not, and of am not, and with greater license also of is not. In the second pronunciation also written ain't or aint.
- n. A dialectal reduction of ha'n't, a contraction of have not and has not. Also written ain't, aint, like hain't, haint.
- n. A colloquial contraction of an it, if it. See an, and.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
After the hearings are over, I c an't wait to congratulate her on her appointment for the Supreme Court, as I know she will be approved.
Course I an't never hunted seal and you likely do every season, so I will fess my ignorance here.
Edwards makes me sick glad he an't president voting for Mcain if Hillary does not make it.
I an't sure bout all these high fluting folks neither. uns need to get on down to the voten parlor and vote fer Henllary and Bill.
Think about that song in Dreamgirl where Hudson song "I an't going no where" in a sense – she was pitful begging to hold on when they told her it was all over.
Clinton's campaign is inevitably messed up tactically and strategically and the country an't buying what you are selling.
Aren't I became the standard form in British English, and an't I very popular in the 1800s gradually fell out of use.
I wound up takin the mule back and given him half a box of thruderheads bullets to hep out on his gas. he said i would here from his lawyer but I an't scart cause raphie went to the kommuniti colege and got a dgree in criminal justis so he can handle it if he gets out in time.
Sir Hugh, surveying her with a look of surprise and vexation, exclaimed: 'What my dear! an't you dizened yet? why I thought to have seen you in all your best things!'
I wish I were a better singer cause then I could run down the street swinging from lamp posts, singing, "Iiiiiiii an't got nooobooooddyyyyyyy .."