from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A mystical interpretation of a word, passage, or text, especially scriptural exegesis that detects allusions to heaven or the afterlife.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In medicine, an upward rejection, as the rejection of blood from the lungs by the mouth; anabole.
- noun 2. Spiritual enlightenment; elevation to spiritual insight.
- noun The spiritual meaning or application of words; especially, the application of the types and allegories of the Old to subjects of the New Testament. Also
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun An elevation of mind to things celestial.
- noun The spiritual meaning or application; esp. the application of the types and allegories of the Old Testament to subjects of the New.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The
spiritualor mysticalinterpretation of a word or passage beyond the literal, allegoricalor moral sense (especially in Biblical criticism).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a mystical or allegorical interpretation (especially of Scripture)
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Late Latin anagōgē, from Late Greek, spiritual uplift, from anagein, to lift up : ana-, ana- + agein, to lead; see ag- in Indo-European roots.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From Latin anagōgē, from Ancient Greek ἀναγωγή ("elevation").
Sorry, no example sentences found.