from The Century Dictionary.
- Pertaining to the Arctiidœ: as, an arctiid moth.
- noun One of the Arctiidœ; an arctian.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun a stout-bodied broad-winged moth with conspicuously striped or spotted wings; larvae are hairy caterpillars.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun zoology Any member of the Arctiidae.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun stout-bodied broad-winged moth with conspicuously striped or spotted wings; larvae are hairy caterpillars
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Reproduction the reproductive biology of the arctiid moths creatonotos transiens and C. gangis exhibits a novel ontogenetic phenimenon morphogenesis of male coremata size being directly controlled by the quanity of hostplant derived pyrrolizidine alkaloids larvae. in addition, the same alkaloids directly control the quanity of male phermones sythesized and available for deploying these scent organs. reproduction in these insects thus shows striking linkages between ecological, behavioural, chemical and morphological features.