from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ascus-bearing structure found in ascomycetous fungi.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The sporocarp of an ascomycete, typically bowl-shaped.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In ascomycetous fungi, the spherical, discoid, or cup-shaped body within which the asci are collected, and which constitutes the mature fructification. The different forms are known in mycology under distinct names. Called also spore fruit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The developed fructification in Ascomycetes, consisting of asci and ascophores.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. mature fruiting body of an ascomycetous fungus
asco- + -carp (Wiktionary)