from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not synchronous; occurring at different times.
- adj. Allowing the client to continue during processing.
- adj. Having many actions occurring at a time, in any order, without waiting for each other; the style of communication used by Ajax.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not simultaneous; not concurrent in time; -- opposed to
- adj. occurring in different geologic times; -- of taxa/
- adj. chronologically misplaced; belonging to a different time or era.
- adj. occurring at different speeds in different computers connected by a data transmission link; -- said of methods data of transmission between computers. Opposite of
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not coinciding in time.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not synchronous; not occurring or existing at the same time or having the same period or phase
- adj. (digital communication) pertaining to a transmission technique that does not require a common clock between the communicating devices; timing signals are derived from special characters in the data stream itself
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The key in AJAX is the term asynchronous, which enables the browser to provide services and features in simple but exciting ways.
Off to a slightly shaky start, the piece was roughly shoe-horned into the round table topic of the month but was ostensibly targeting the potential within asynchronous gameplay.
I had thought to go to the recently deceased jdamicus and try getting some traction on the question that's pestering me, not as homework but strictly extra-curricular, about determination of jurisdiction in asynchronous electronic transactions.
The word asynchronous tells us that the information is not sent in predefined time slots.
Yesterday, I was in serious danger of working on my PhD thesis so in desperation I looked into this whole Flickr web2.0 tag asynchronous feed business.
To make synchronous code asynchronous, you can simply call an asynchronous method instead of a synchronous method and add a few keywords to the code, as shown in the examples below.
While it's easy to make method calls asynchronous, it helps to know what actually happens when the program reaches an await statement.
Even with the simplicity, why make file access calls asynchronous?
Once you've selected photos to upload, you'll be able to conduct other tasks while the upload is taking place (aka asynchronous uploading).
The replication is asynchronous -- in other words, the slaves do not have to acknowledge receipt of the data.