from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Self-production; production independent, in organisms, of parent organisms;
- noun in tissues, of parent tissues; and
- noun in disease, of previous cases of zymotic disease.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Biol.) Spontaneous generation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun biology The supposed
creationof living organismsfrom nonlivingmatter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a hypothetical organic phenomenon by which living organisms are created from nonliving matter
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
In this primal scene of autogenesis "each single particular nature commences with the rotation about its own axis and hence, manifestly, in a state of inner revulsion" or "anxiety."
Page 312, Volume 4 und Stoff (1855) cited the autogenesis of life as evidence that the inherent energies of matter had alone brought all things into existence.