from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See abiogenesis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The supposed creation of living organisms from nonliving matter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Spontaneous generation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Self-production; production independent, in organisms, of parent organisms;
- n. in tissues, of parent tissues; and
- n. in disease, of previous cases of zymotic disease.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hypothetical organic phenomenon by which living organisms are created from nonliving matter
In this primal scene of autogenesis "each single particular nature commences with the rotation about its own axis and hence, manifestly, in a state of inner revulsion" or "anxiety."
Page 312, Volume 4 und Stoff (1855) cited the autogenesis of life as evidence that the inherent energies of matter had alone brought all things into existence.