from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. the mass of materials used in filling up the space between two walls, or between the inner and outer faces of a wall, or upon the haunches of an arch or vault.
  • n. See under Back, a.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Rough masonry forming the back of a wall.
  • n. The filling in again of a place from which earth has been removed; the earth so filled in.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.