from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The reverse of a return-flue; a flue for conducting hot gases from the front to the rear end of a boiler.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • The arrows show its descent through these flues, from which it obliquely strikes and passes over the flue-plate, then under it, and then out through the centre back-flue, which is open at the bottom, up into the smoke-pipe.

    American Woman's Home


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.