from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A board placed under or behind something or someone to provide firmness or support.
- n. Basketball The elevated vertical board from which the basket projects.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The flat vertical surface to which the basket is attached.
- n. A flat vertical wall with the image of a tennis net drawn or painted on it. Designed to practice hitting against such that the ball bounces back.
- n. A spine board.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A board which supports the back when one is sitting
- n. A board serving as the back part of anything, as of a wagon.
- n. A thin stuff used for the backs of framed pictures, mirrors, etc.
- n. A board attached to the rim of a water wheel to prevent the water from running off the floats or paddles into the interior of the wheel.
- n. A board worn across the back to give erectness to the figure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A board for the back; a board placed at the back or serving as the back of something.
- n. A board used in a lathe to sustain the pillars supporting the puppet-bar.
- n. In English [Yorkshire] coal-mining, a thirl or cross-hole communicating with the return air-course.
- In leather manufacturing, to board on the flesh side instead of on the grain side as in regular boarding.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a raised vertical board with basket attached; used to play basketball
- n. a board used to support the back of someone or something
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The backboard is in fact one of the most important parts of a basketball system.
But, if you are looking for longer durability and more consistency, a glass backboard is the way to go.
Though shattering a backboard is not the goal of a slam dunk, it is possible with enough force to shatter a glass backboard.
One of the only drawbacks of a glass backboard is the possibility of breakage.
A regulation size backboard is 42″ x 72″, but glass backboards come in many different sizes.
So we wait a little longer and here comes the big red fire truck, not a word do they say as they all jump off, run and grab the backboard from the ambulance guys and like 4 of them jump in and pull me out while the other 3 or 4 get my bike out.
Sampson was not assessed a technical foul, the officials allowed the basket and Oklahoma's Ebi Ere hit the side of the backboard from the left corner as time expired.
TORONTO (AP) - Larry Johnson had no trouble picking a nickname for the shot of the game, a 3-pointer that banked in off the backboard from a nearly straight-away angle.
When watching the game of basketball, spectators probably don’t give much thought to what type of backboard is being used.
How can shooting a 3 pointer not be the behavior of a world leader, but Bush taking 3 shots a barley hitting the backboard is the behavior of a world leader?