from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A friction-reducing bearing consisting essentially of a ring-shaped track containing freely revolving hard metal balls against which a rotating shaft or other part turns.
- n. A hard ball used in such a bearing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In engineering, a bearing assembly which uses spherical bearing balls as the rolling elements
- n. In common usage, an individual spherical ball, usually made of steel or other hard material, suitable for use in a ball-based rolling element bearing
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bearings containing small metal balls
Sorry, no etymologies found.
These happy wanderers pull into class in the morning and appear as if their heads are mounted on a very loose ball bearing or an unstable turret, as they are feverishlyscanning their environment.