from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A self-regulating device controlling the supply of water in a tank, cistern, or toilet by means of a float connected to a valve that opens or closes with a change in water level.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Alternative spelling of ballcock.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a faucet or valve which is opened or closed by the fall or rise of a ball floating in water at the end of a lever.
  • n. See under Ball.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A hollow sphere or ball of metal attached to the end of a lever, which turns the stop-cock of a water-pipe and regulates the supply of water.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. floating ball that controls level in a water tank
  • n. floating ball that controls level in a water tank


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.