from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. In Conservative and Reform Judaism, a Jewish girl of 12 or 13 years of age, considered an adult and responsible for her moral and religious duties.
- n. The ceremony that initiates and recognizes a girl as a bat mitzvah.
- transitive v. To confirm in the ceremony of bat mitzvah.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Jewish coming of age ceremony for a girl.
- n. Someone who has come of age.
- v. To initiate someone in a bat mitzvah ceremony
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. confirm in the bat mitzvah ceremony, of girls in the Jewish faith
- n. (Judaism) an initiation ceremony marking the 12th birthday of a Jewish girl and signifying the beginning of religious responsibility
Hebrew bat miṣwâ : bat, daughter; see bn in Semitic roots + miṣwâ, commandment; see mitzvah.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Hebrew בת מצוה (Wiktionary)