from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A US army unit usually composed of five companies.
- noun A naval force composed of a variable number of warships, escorts, and supply vessels, depending on the nature of the mission.
- noun An improvised force, usually of battalion or brigade strength, drawn from different units for a particular operation.
- noun Chiefly British A tactical force of battalion strength formed by attaching infantry and armored companies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an army unit usually consisting of five companies
Sorry, no etymologies found.
PBObama must use a carrier battle group,hospital &logistic support vessels as well as a division/half of American forces.