from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The dried aromatic leaf of the laurel or bay (Laurus nobilis) used as a seasoning in cooking.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A herb derived from a shrub of the family Lauraceae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the leaf of the bay tree (Laurus nobilis). It has a fragrant odor and an aromatic taste, and is used for flavoring in food.
- See under 3d bay.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. ; pl. bay-leaves (-lēvz).
- n. The leaf of the sweet-bay or laurel-tree, Laurus nobilis.
- n. Same as bay, n., 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. dried leaf of the bay laurel
Sorry, no etymologies found.