from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A cylindrical glass vessel with a rounded top and an open base, used to protect and display fragile objects or to establish a vacuum or a controlled atmosphere in scientific experiments.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A piece of laboratory equipment used for creating vacuums, often made of glass in a bell-like shape.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • A glass vessel, varying in size, open at the bottom and closed at the top like a bell, and having a knob or handle at the top for lifting it. It is used for a great variety of purposes; as, with the air pump, and for holding gases, also for keeping the dust from articles exposed to view.
  • n. See in the Vocabulary.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A bell-shaped glass jar, used by chemists, in physical laboratories, etc., for receiving a gas lighter than the atmosphere or other medium in which it is plunged, and for similar uses. It is a form of bell-glass.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a bell-shaped glass cover used to protect and display delicate objects or to cover scientific apparatus or to contain gases


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.