from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A European fish (Centriscus scolopax), distinguished by a long tubular snout, like the pipe of a bellows; -- called also trumpet fish, and snipe fish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A local name in England of the trumpet-fish, Centriscus scolopax.
- n. A local name of sundry plectognath fishes, of the suborder Gymnodontes and family Tetrodontidæ.
- n. A local name in Rhode Island of the angler, Lophius piscatorius. See cut under angler.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small bottom-dwelling fish of warm seas having a compressed body and a long snout with a toothless mouth
Sorry, no etymologies found.