from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of several North American freshwater game fishes of the genus Micropterus, including the largemouth and smallmouth bass.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A centrarchoid American fish of the genus Micropterus.
- noun A local name, along portions of the Pacific coast of the United States, of a scorpænoid fish, Sebastichthys melanops, or black rock-fish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- (Zoöl.) An edible, fresh-water fish of the United States, of the genus Micropterus. The small-mouthed kind is
Micropterus dolomieī; the large-mouthed is Micropterus salmoides.
- The sea bass. See
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A variety of
sunfishbelonging to Micropterus dolomieu.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun bluish black-striped sea bass of the Atlantic coast of the United States
- noun widely distributed and highly prized American freshwater game fishes (sunfish family)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.