from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various black-colored beans, especially:
- n. A small black bean having cream-colored flesh and a sweet flavor, used in southern and Latin-American cuisine. Also called turtle bean.
- n. A fermented black soybean having a pungent salty flavor, preserved in salt and used in Asian cuisine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bean plant with black seeds.
- n. A dried seed of a black bean plant.
- n. A dried black seed of certain varieties of the common bean, Phaseolus vulgaris.
- n. A fermented soybean, used in Asian cooking.
- n. An Australian tree (Castanospermum australe), also called Moreton Bay chestnut.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. black-seeded bean of South America; usually dried
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I walked over to Armstrong’s and had a bowl of the black bean chili, then caught the eight-thirty step meeting at St. Paul’s.
Honorable Goldtooth has ordered a morsel or two to whet your appetite: quick fried prawns with peapods, shredded beef in black bean sauce, some deep-fried dumplings Shanghai style, quick fried vegetables spiced with Szechuan cabbage and tangy Ch'iang Pao chicken. "
When Johnny drops his black bean soup on the floor, it goes “kershplat” and Mommy scurries about yammering unintelligibly while she wipes his beautiful pièce de résistance off the floor.
Guiltless Gourmet makes delicious black bean dips, and you can make your own dip by mixing nonfat yogurt with lemon juice, thyme, oregano, parsley, and pepper.
She talked of clever peddlers who served every kind of simple food: steamed dumplings, boiled peanuts, and my mother’s favorite, a thin pancake with an egg dropped in the middle, brushed with black bean paste, then rolled up — still finger-hot off the griddle! — and handed to the hungry buyer.
frittatawild, grilled, with mango relishwild, with brown rice, West Indieswild, with citrus marinadesalsa, homemade salsa and tortilla chips seafood, spinach, and orange salad shake recipes chocolate banana dreamchocolate mocha madnesschocolate peanut butter banana blitzorange pineapple craveraspberry delightsnack bars snack ideas and recipes soups and stews black bean soupbutternut squash soupchicken and bean tortilla soupred lentil souptomato basil soupvegetable bean chilivegetable soupwhite bean stewsouthern kale spaghetti squash spinach:
If death wants me, let him ride up on a pale mount, ashes in his mouth, ice in his testicles; let him swing a scythe and make horrible noises, let him come for me in person, not send some hair, some fucking little black bean baked in a goody by mutton-butt peasant wives.