from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A buttonhole stitch used for edging around heavy material.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A strong stitch, similar to a buttonhole stitch, used to finish and reinforce the edges of blankets etc.
- n. A similar, more decorative stitch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A buttonhole stitch worked wide apart on the edge of material, as blankets, too thick to hem.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a strong reinforcing stitch for edges of blanket and other thick material; similar to buttonhole stitch
Sorry, no etymologies found.