from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A brownish-bronze, lustrous copper ore with the composition Cu5FeS4 that tarnishes to purple when exposed to air.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A valuable copper ore, consisting of about 60 parts of copper, 14 of iron, and 26 of sulphur, found mostly massive, also in isometric crystals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Min.) A valuable ore of copper, containing copper, iron, and sulphur; -- also called
purple copper ore(or erubescite), in allusion to the colors shown upon the slightly tarnished surface.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun mineralogy A reddish mineral that tarnishes on exposure to air; it is a mixed
sulfideof ironand copperwith the chemical formula Cu5 Fe Sand is an important oreof copper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a mineral consisting of sulfides of copper and iron that is found in copper deposits
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[After Ignaz von Born, (1742–1791), Austrian mineralogist.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Born + -ite, after Ignaz von Born, Austrian mineralogist.
Sorry, no example sentences found.