from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A curved metal block that presses against and arrests the rotation of a wheel or brake drum.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A piece of wood or metal fitted to a brake-block, or forming one piece with it, and serving as a rubber to retard, by friction with the wheel-tread or-tire, the movement of a wheel.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun An element of a drum brake into which the friction-producing brake lining is attached.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a restraint provided when the brake linings are moved hydraulically against the brake drum to retard the wheel's rotation


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.