from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various aquatic crustaceans of the class Branchiopoda, such as the fairy shrimp and water flea, characterized by a segmented body and flattened, leaflike thoracic appendages.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the very many aquatic crustaceans of the class Branchiopoda, such as the fairy shrimps and water fleas
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Branchiopoda.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An animal belonging to the order Branchiopoda. Also branchiopode.
- Gill-footed; branchiopodous. Also branchiopodan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. aquatic crustaceans typically having a carapace and many pairs of leaflike appendages used for swimming as well as respiration and feeding
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of the subclass Branchiopoda
From New Latin Branchiopoda, class name : Latin branchia, gills; see branchia + New Latin -poda, -pod; see -pod.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Branchiopoda (Wiktionary)
Tadpole shrimp are large branchiopod crustaceans that occur in arctic Canada and on the prairies.
In short, she was a branchiopod, to be vulgarly precise, a water-flea.