from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Means of support; livelihood.
- noun The essential sustaining element or elements; the mainstay.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Seeking bread and butter, or the means of living; controlled by material wants and desires; mercenary: as, the bread-and-butter brigade (applied to office-seekers in the United States).
- Eating much bread and butter, as young boys or girls; hence, belonging to adolescence; in the stage of growth: as, she's but a bread-and-butter miss.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Used other than as an idiom: see
- noun idiomatic That which is
centralor fundamental, as to one's business, survival, or income; a stapleor cornerstone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the financial means whereby one lives
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.