from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sauce made from butter and flour browned together and stock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sauce made by the addition of stock to a heated and browned mixture of butter and flour.
- n. Any of many brands of bottled sauce based on malt vinegar, fruit and spices.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bouillon or beef stock thickened with butter and flour roux and variously seasoned with herbs or Worcestershire etc.
- n. a sauce based on soy sauce
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The fish, by Leon Blanc, was little six-inch brook trout, four to a customer, with a light brown sauce with capers in it, and a tang that didn’t seem to come from lemon or any vinegar I had ever heard of.