from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- In England, a large salmon trout of several species, as Salmo trutta and Salmo Cambricus, which ascend rivers; -- called also sea trout.
- Salvelinus malma of California and Oregon; -- called also Dolly Varden trout and red-spotted trout.
- The huso or salmon of the Danube.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name loosely applied to certain varieties of different species of the genus Salmo, as of S. salar, S. trutta, S. cambricus.
- n. Salvelinus malma, of northern and western North America and Kamchatka.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.