from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A rope that keeps a square sail from bellying when it is being hauled up for furling.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A type of revolver with an exceptionally long barrel.
  • n. Any, except the outermost, of the ropes extending down to the deck with which a square sail is rolled up to the yard.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One of the ropes toggled to the footrope of a sail, used to haul up to the yard the body of the sail when taking it in.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. one of the ropes attached to the foot-ropes of square sails and led up to the masthead, and thence on deck, to assist in hauling up the sail.


bunt2 + line1.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A rope attached to the foot of a square sail to haul it up to the yard for furling.

    February 23, 2008