from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. relating to or resembling a hawk of the genus Buteo.
- n. any hawk of the genus Buteo.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Buzzard-like; resembling a buzzard; belonging to the group of hawks of which the genus Buteo is typical.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any hawk of the genus Buteo
- adj. relating to or resembling a hawk of the genus Buteo
Sorry, no etymologies found.
While unfortunately few phylogenetic studies include both species together, a comprehensive recent DNA-based phylogeny found the two to be well apart, with Polyboroides down with Old World vultures and honey buzzards, while Geranospiza was in the buteonine clade that also includes Buteo (of course) and Leucopternus (Lerner et al. 2005).
SL (2008) A new genus and species of buteonine hawk from Quaternary deposits in Bermuda
W cygnine swan W anatine duck 1862-1893 dacelonine kingfisher W OOsW didine dodo 1885 OW avine bird 1881 OW falconine falcon OW buteonine buzzard fringilline finch 1874 -