from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of canyon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of canyon.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A deep gorge, ravine, or gulch, between high and steep banks, worn by water courses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To enter a defile or gorge: said of a stream.
- To become narrow and steep-walled: said of a valley.
- n. The name given throughout the Cordilleran region of the United States to any rather narrow valley with more or less precipitous sides, and also frequently applied to what would properly be called in English a defile, ravine, or gorge.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.