from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A toxic condition marked by diarrhea, elevated blood pressure, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, and insomnia, caused by excessive ingestion of coffee and other caffeine-containing substances.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a toxic condition caused by excessive ingestion of coffee and other caffeine-containing beverages
- n. addiction to such beverages
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A morbid state produced by prolonged or excessive use of caffein.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. poisoning resulting from excessive intake of caffeine containing products
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I discover later that I am suffering from the effects of "caffeinism" - a withdrawal from caffeine.
But overuse can develop into "caffeinism," which may cause muscle twitching, insomnia, headaches and heart palpitations.
Looks like cold turkey is the best way to beat caffeinism. paqman
Looks like cold turkey is the best way to beat caffeinism.
Ad lib caffeine consumption, symptoms of caffeinism, and academic performance.
Caffeine is a drug that in large amounts, especially over an extended period of time, can lead to a condition termed "caffeinism."
Launched in 2002 by the Caffeine Awareness Alliance, the campaign calls attention to the risks associated with caffeinism and caffeine withdrawal syndrome, a disorder recognized by the psychiatric community.
All a psychiatrist need do is pick one or more conditions that seem to fit from the psychiatric "bible," the DSM manual, where hundreds of so-called "diagnosable conditions" are listed - everything from insomnia, worry, and caffeinism, to being shy.