from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A row of small bracts at the base of the calyx, on the outside.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A row of small bracts, at the base of the calyx, on the outside.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, an outer accessory calyx, or set of leaflets or bracts looking like a calyx, as in the pink. Also called calyculus.
- n. In zoology, a calice or little calyx; some part of a zoöphyte like or likened to the calyx of a plant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a group of bracts simulating a calyx as in a carnation or hibiscus
- n. a small cup-shaped structure (as a taste bud or optic cup or cavity of a coral containing a polyp)
This is either the calycle, as in Scabiofiy Knautiay Ageratum y Arcloiis — or a Down (Pappus) y as in Hieracium t Scnchus,