from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun Any of various devices used to open sealed metal cans, as of food.
  • noun A jump into the water in which one holds one knee close to the chest while extending the other leg and leaning back slightly in order to cause a large splash on entry.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A device used to open tin cans, usually by slicing the lid off.
  • noun A shoulder hit to the chest, usually accomplished while moving from a crouched to a standing position.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a device for cutting cans open


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Also called a "figure four" (because of its resemblance to a "4"). A dive which, like the cannonball, gets everyone wet, yet can be directed to a particular target area of the pool.

    March 15, 2007

  • Haha! I'd forgotten all about this dive! Thanks, o!

    March 15, 2007

  • can openers come in two forms. Ones for cutting the top off a metal can, and ones that punch a triangular hole in the top of a beverage can so that its contents can be poured out.

    June 28, 2009