from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Plural form of cancellus.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • An interwoven or latticed wall or inclosure; latticework, rails, or crossbars, as around the bar of a court of justice, between the chancel and the nave of a church, or in a window.
  • The interlacing osseous plates constituting the elastic porous tissue of certain parts of the bones, esp. in their articular extremities.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Cross-pieces or reticulations forming a latticework or grating.
  • In zoology and anatomy, the reticulations or intersections constituting cancellated structure or reticulated texture; a composition of many spaces bounded by lines or surfaces forming a network or lattice-like arrangement, such as the light, spongy, cancellated tissue of bones. The word is little used except for this kind of osseous texture, and the singular, cancellus, is not in use. See cancellate, .


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.