from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See squamous cell carcinoma.
- adj. Of or relating to squamous cell carcinoma.
- adj. Resembling a crab.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Resembling a crab
- adj. Of or pertaining to cancer, especially to squamous cell carcinoma
- n. Any disease that resembles cancer
- n. Squamous cell carcinoma
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Resembling a crab; pertaining to the Cancroidea, one of the families of crabs, including the genus Cancer.
- adj. Like a cancer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In pathology, of the nature of or resembling cancer.
- In zoology, same as cancriform, 1.
- n. In pathology: An epithelioma.
- n. An adenoma
- n. A keloid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to a cancroid
- n. the most common form of skin cancer
Latin cancer, cancr-; see canker + -oid.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
The earliest opinion appears to have been that canker, as the name indicates, was of a cancerous or cancroid nature.