from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • transitive v. To combine or mix (a gas, for example) with volatile hydrocarbons, so as to increase available fuel energy.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. to react with carbon
  • v. to mix (air) with hydrocarbons, especially with petroleum, as in an internal combustion engine.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A carbide. See carbide
  • transitive v. To combine or to impregnate with carbon, as by passing through or over a liquid hydrocarbon; to carbonize or carburize.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Same as carburize.
  • n. Same as carbide.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • v. combine with carbon


From carburet, carbide, from French carbure, from Latin carbō, carbon; see carbon.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.