from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • transitive v. To treat, combine, or impregnate with carbon, as when casehardening steel.
  • transitive v. To carburet.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. To treat or react with carbon
  • v. To carbonize

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • transitive v. To combine with carbon or a carbon compound; -- said esp. of a process for conferring a higher degree of illuminating power on combustible gases by mingling them with a vapor of volatile hydrocarbons.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To cause to unite with carbon or a hydrocarbon, as when the illuminating power of a gas is increased by mingling with it the vapor of volatile hydrocarbons. Also carburise, carburet.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • v. unite with carbon


carbur(et) + -ize.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.