from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A slender stalk that supports each half of a dehisced fruit in many members of the parsley family.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thin stalk that raises the pistil above the stamens in some Umbelliferae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A slender prolongation of the receptacle as an axis between the carpels, as in Geranium and many umbelliferous plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the prolongation of the floral axis which bears the carpels of some compound fruits, as in Geranium and many Umbelliferæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a slender stalk that furnishes an axis for a carpel
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.