from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the pinks (of family Caryophyllaceae), especially describing plants that have their distinctive corollas
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having corollas of five petals with long claws inclosed in a tubular, calyx, as the pink.
- adj. Belonging to the family of which the pink and the carnation are the types.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the Caryophyllaceæ: especially applied to flowers having five petals with long claws in a tubular calyx. Also caryophyllous, caryophylleous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or pertaining to plants of the family Caryophyllaceae
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Corsica is said to be famous for its orchids, verbenas, and cotyledinous and caryophyllaceous plants; but I only speak of what I saw, and these were out of season.