from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Granulated sugar that has been sifted to have a finer crystal size, so that it can be shaken out of the holes of a caster.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. very finely granulated sugar that was formerly sprinkled from a castor


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Well, I think it's not quite the same, though I could be wrong. I think confectioner's sugar is powdered, and caster sugar is still crystals—isn't it? But it makes me wonder what confectioner's sugar is called in the UK.

    April 21, 2009

  • Sounds like what we call confectioner's sugar.

    April 20, 2009

  • Ta, kjola. I've always wanted to know this. Sincerely.

    April 20, 2009

  • Castor or caster sugar is the name of a very fine sugar in Britain, so named because the grains are small enough to fit though a sugar "caster" or sprinkler

    April 20, 2009