cathode-ray tube love

cathode-ray tube


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A vacuum tube in which a hot cathode emits electrons that are accelerated as a beam through a relatively high voltage anode, further focused or deflected electrostatically or electromagnetically, and allowed to fall on a phosphorescent screen.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a vacuum tube in which electrons from a heated cathode are focused and deflected onto a phosphorescent screen; used in television sets etc

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a vacuum tube in which a hot cathode emits a beam of electrons that pass through a high voltage anode and are focused or deflected before hitting a phosphorescent screen


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • Tom went to his own laboratory where he replaced the cathode-ray tube in the oscillograph with another one which he knew to be more sensitive.

    I, TOO, DREAM....

  • He was working with a cathode-ray tube surrounded by sheets of black cardboard when he caught a glimpse of light from the other side of his lab.

    Futures Imperfect


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.