from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A concave molding with a cross section that approximates a quarter circle.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A concave moulding.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A concave molding; -- used chiefly in classical architecture. See Illust. of column.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In architecture, a hollow member, or round concave molding, containing at least the quadrant of a circle, used in cornices, between the tori of bases, etc.
  • n. In decorative art, a hollow or recessed pattern: the reverse of relief and rilievo.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a concave molding shaped like a quarter circle in cross section


Italian, diminutive of cavo, hollow, from Latin cavus; see keuə- in Indo-European roots.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Italian cavetto, from cavo ("hollow"), Latin cavus. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.