from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A tool with a sharp point used in metalworking to mark centers or center lines on pieces to be drilled.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. to create a small hole or indentation in a workpiece as a guide in preparation for drilling
  • n. a device used to create a small indentation in preparation for drilling a hole
  • n. the small indentation created by such a device

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • A punch for making indentations or dots in a piece of work, as for suspension between lathe centers, etc.
  • A punch for punching holes in sheet metal, having a small conical center to insure correct locating.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A tool consisting of a small piece of steel with a hardened point at one end, used for making an indentation, such as to mark the center of a hole to be drilled or a circle to be struck, or as a center of revolution in a lathe. Also called dot-punch and prick-punch.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • v. make a small hole in something as a guide for a drill
  • n. a tool with a conical point that is used to make indentations in metal (especially to mark points for drilling)


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.