from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to the bone or cartilage below the epibranchial in a branchial arch.
- n. A ceratobranchial bone or cartilage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to the bone, or cartilage, below the epibranchial in a branchial arch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Noting the principal and median piece of a branchial arch in fishes.
- n. In Owen's nomenclature of the parts of a hyoid bone, that bone which, in vertebrates below mammals, is borne upon the end of the hypobranchial, and, in a bird for instance, forms the terminal portion of the greater cornu of the hyoid, the hypobranchial and ceratobranchial together forming the so-called thyrohyal, which curves up behind the skull.
- n. In later nomenclature, same as the apohyal of some authors and the hypobranchial of Owen.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Results con/disp1 mutants display reduced and dysmorphic mandibular and hyoid arch cartilages and lack all ceratobranchial cartilage elements.