from The Century Dictionary.
- Given to chaffing; bantering; ironical
- Like chaff; full of chaff.
- In botany, furnished with chaff, as the receptacle in some compound flowers; paleaceous.
- Figuratively, light; frivolous; unstable.
- noun A chaffinch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Abounding in, or resembling, chaff.
- adjective Light or worthless as chaff.
- adjective Resembling chaff; composed of light dry scales.
- adjective Bearing or covered with dry scales, as the under surface of certain ferns, or the disk of some composite flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Like or containing
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective abounding in or covered with or resembling or consisting of chaff
- adjective value
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
How 'chaffy' and frivolous this gay world of London appeared to these first Publishers, consumed with the burning eagerness of their mission, the following description shows.
It went to my heart to oppose her in any wish; and also this kind of chaffy opposition might pain her.
Badawi (vol.v. 98), with its reminiscence of “chaffy”
He was as chaffy as he was sixty years ago, too, and swore the Archbishop and
Most of the recent improved varieties from breeding programs in Africa yield grain that is poorly developed, headbug damaged, and chaffy when harvested from stressed environments.
Also, small seeds and lightweight, chaffy seeds are more likely to drift in the wind, so they are harder to target during the drop.
By the side of it a man was setting out on an eating-stand a half-eaten ham, chaffy rolls and pies yellow with age.
Nut kernels that are poorly filled are often hollow, shrunken, shriveled, and chaffy.
The words of praise he gives his memory are like golden grains amid the chaffy _verbiage_ with which he defends himself.
Palate: = hypopharynx; q.v. Paleace: chaff or chaffy: = paleaceous.