from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. In architecture, the case or frame used on three sides around a chamber door, large window, or fireplace mantel, and the border decorations.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. An ornamental bordering or framelike decoration around the sides and top of a door, window, or fireplace. The top piece is called the traverse and the side pieces the ascendants.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In architecture, a structural feature, often ornamental, inclosing the sides and top of a doorway, window, fireplace, or similar opening. The top piece or beam is called the traverse, and the two side pieces or posts are called the ascendants.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • Probablement qu’il avait réparé la chambranle lui-même, sans remplacer la gâche.

    2004 August — Climb to the Stars

  • Pas de gâche j’ai appris plus tard l’explication probable, juste deux mortaises, taillées directement dans le bois qui est venu visiblement remplacer à un moment donné la chambranle d’origine.

    2004 August — Climb to the Stars


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.