from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A riblike marking on wood or metal, caused by vibration of a cutting tool.
  • noun Geology One of a series of short scars made by glacial drift on a surface of bedrock.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • (Mach.) One of the fine undulations or ripples which are formed on the surface of work by a cutting tool which chatters.
  • (Geol.) A short crack on a rock surface planed smooth by a glacier.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun marks on a glaciated rock caused by the movement of a glacier
  • noun a mark made by a chattering tool on the surface of a workpiece


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.