from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pincerlike claw of a crustacean or arachnid, such as a lobster, crab, or scorpion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pincer-like claw of a crustacean or arachnid.
- n. A pupil or disciple, especially in Hinduism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The pincherlike claw of Crustacea and Arachnida.
- n. In India, a dependent person occupying a position between that of a servant or slave and a disciple; hence, a disciple or novice.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The pair of pincers or nippers, or the so-called claw, which terminates some of the limbs of most Crustacea, as crabs and lobsters, formed by an enlarged propodite bearing a movably apposed dactylopodite; the last and penultimate segments of a chelate limb or cheliped so modified as to constitute a prehensile organ like a pair of pincers.
- n. The similar nipper- or pincer-like claw terminating the chelicera of an arachnidan, as a scorpion. In these two senses also chele.
- n. A genus of cyprinoid fishes.
- n. See cheela.
- n. In sponge-spicules, a microsclere consisting of a more or loss curved shaft bearing at each end a variable number of recurved processes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Hindu disciple of a swami
- n. a grasping structure on the limb of a crustacean or other arthropods
The term chela, commonly used for a Hindu disciple who leaves household life to live and study with
They are usually accompanied by a youthful disciple, called a "chela," a boy of from 10 to 15 years of age, who will become a fakir himself unless something occurs to change his career.
Una cheve is una chela, una fría, una Corona (this can be any brand of beer), una birria, una caguama (if it's a really big bottle).
Despite the hardships for 33 men living an underground existence in a bunker the size of a small apartment, humour has not abandoned the men: asked what they needed, the men listed canned peaches, toothbrushes and a chela? slang for a cold beer.
Becoming a hijra is a process of socialization into a “hijra family” through a relationship characterised as chela “student” to guru “teacher”, leading to a gradual assumption of femininity.
Muskan is a hijra or transgender , we are close friends she oozes oomph .. she is a chela ogf my hijra guru Laxmi Narayan Tripathi..and I had done a daring feature on Muskan at her house in Thane.
Becoming a hijra is a process of socialisation into a "hijra family" through a relationship characterised as chela "student" to guru "teacher", leading to a gradual assumption of femininity.
After their last juvenile moult, males enter their sexual form with larger chela, increased length, sharper spines and increased sclerotization.
Because I am a chela or disciple of Laxmi Narayan Tripathi I am given access to their group.
It was her chela Baby Hijda also a Guru, who met me on my arrival at Haji Malang and invited me home with Dr Glenn Losack MD for lunch