from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An enlisted rank in the U.S. Navy that is above petty officer first class and below senior chief petty officer.
- n. One who holds this rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An warrant officer belonging to one of the two classes of chief petty officer: chief petty officer first class and chief petty officer second class.
- n. A non-commissioned officer in the Royal Navy, ranking above petty officer and below warrant officer class 2.
- n. A non-commissioned officer in the United States Navy and United States Coast Guard, ranking above petty officer first class and below senior chief petty officer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person with the senior noncommissioned naval rank
Sorry, no etymologies found.
LEADING PETTY OFFICER: the senior petty officer in a work center, division, or department, responsible to the leading chief petty officer for the performance of the rest of the group.
Except for the two already out on the floor — John McNaughton in the Vermont house, and George Wing, a Crow Indian and former chief petty officer who was living in the tepee I'd seen — I also met my fellow candidates.
As it happened, the line chief petty officer had had a hole in his night watchbill to fill.
With him was Commander Bird Dog Robinson and a chief petty officer that Coyote recognized as chief of the avionics division.