from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A short lofted golf stroke, used in approaching the green.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun golf An
approach shotmade from a location a short distance from the golf green in which the ball is launched into the air with only lowor moderate force, so that it will land on the green and roll toward the hole.
- noun American football A relatively
easy field goal, made from a short distance.
- noun soccer A shot in which the ball is kicked from
underneathwith accuracybut with less than maximum force, to launch it high into the air in order either to pass it over the heads of opponentsor to score a goal.
- noun curling A
takeoutshot aimed at hitting a rockat an angle.
- noun The achievement of a
goalor the striking of a targetwith a ball or other projectilein relatively nonchallengingor routinecircumstances, by throwing (as in basketball) or by discharging a firearm(as in hunting).
- noun idiomatic, by extension Something that is easy to do or to achieve.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun (golf) a low running approach shot
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.