from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A shotgun bore that narrows toward the muzzle to prevent wide scattering of the shot.
- n. A gun with a narrowed bore near the muzzle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In a shotgun, a bore which is tapered to a slightly smaller diameter at a short distance (usually 21/2 to 3 inches) to the rear of the muzzle, in order to prevent the rapid dispersion of the shot.
- n. A shotgun that is made with such a bore.
- transitive v. To provide with a chokebore.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bore (a gun-barrel) in such a manner that the diameter of the bore shall be a little less near the muzzle than at some point back of it other than the chamber, in order to concentrate the charge (of shot) when the gun is fired. Also choke.
- n. A gun the bore of which is slightly constricted near the muzzle.
Sorry, no etymologies found.