from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bitter yellow substance forming the essential constituent of Goa powder, and yielding chrysophanic acid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bitter, yellow substance forming the essential constituent of Goa powder, and yielding chrysophanic acid proper; hence formerly called also chrysphanic acid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as Goa powder (which see, under powder).
- A supposed chemical principle, the chief constituent and active medicinal principle of Goa powder.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bitter yellow powder used to treat skin diseases
Andira araroba, is the source of a fungicide (chrysarobin) used to treat skin diseases (Allen and Allen 1981).
Rumicin is the active principle of the Yellow Curled Dock; and from the root, containing chrysarobin, a dried extract is prepared officinally, of which from one to four grains may be given for a dose in a pill.
Blue hair is seen in workers in cobalt mines and indigo works; green hair in copper smelters; deep red-brown hair in handlers of crude anilin; and the hair is dyed a purplish-brown whenever chrysarobin applications used on a scalp come in contact with an alkali, as when washed with soap.
The cautious use of a five to twenty per cent. chrysarobin ointment is of value.
_Pyrogallol_ is valuable, and is employed in the same manner and strength as chrysarobin.
If the patches are few and large, chrysarobin rubber-plaster may be used.
Ichthyol internally, and external applications of the same drug, and of resorcin, chrysarobin, and pyrogallic acid, have been extolled.
On the same general plan and with the same remedies (excepting chrysarobin) as in ringworm of the scalp.
It may also be employed in chloroform, a drachm to the ounce; this is painted on, the chloroform evaporating, leaving a thin film of chrysarobin; over this is painted flexible collodion.
In some instances it develops from a long-continued and more or less generalized eczema or psoriasis, and in exceptional cases it is started by the careless use of mercurial ointment and of chrysarobin ointment.